Monday, February 7, 2022

Confessions of a Former Mountain Dew Addict.

Yep, I used to be one of those. 

Back in the day,  between 1980 through the early 2000s, I would drink at least two cans a day, relying on the stuff in the same way that coffee drinkers do. 

The big morning pick-me-up.

I would often refer to the beverage as the "iridescent, effervescent fluid of life", maintaining that it contained three important major food groups: 

Caffeine, Sugar, and Yellow #5

Now, because of warnings from the doc, I have cut down to one a week, with sometimes an occasional extra if I'm driving on an out-of-town trip.

Songs about Mountain Dew...

There are a few songs out there that the lyrics can easily be changed to reflect an MD spin:

The Crystals' "Da Doo Ron Ron" becomes "A  Dew Run Run", sung while driving to the store to pick up a 12-pack.

Or how about Olivia Newton John's "Xanadu"?   That one becomes "Can o' Dew".

My favorite is sung to the tune of "Zippity-Do-Da":

"Double -dee-do-da, double-dee-ay! 

My, oh, my, it's a double-Dew-day!

Plenty of caffeine, comin' my way!

Double-dee-do-da, Double-Dew-Day"!

The day I walked to New York for a Mountain Dew...

Back in 1995, the employer I worked for sent me on a five-day business trip to Mahwah, New Jersey for a training course on some high end intercom systems.  The hotel I was put up in was in nearby Ramsey, just south if the NJ/NY state line.

The first morning of my stay, I went looking for a soft drink vending machine for my customary morning Dew. All I could find was the products of that "other" major soda company. DRAT!!

Thinking I could find a nearby convenience store, I set out walking north along the highway.

I didn't find one until I had gone about one mile and crossed the state line into New York!

It was a pleasent walk back to New Jersey in the brisk morning air and my favorite carbonated beverage in hand.

No comments:

Post a Comment

A Little Bit Of 'Tuesday Morning' at Home

 This past month, my wife and I learned that the Tuesday Morning company had gone into bankruptcy and was set to close all of its Colorado s...