Wednesday, February 1, 2023

The Day I Got To Hold An Emmy!

 Back between 1979 and 1989, I worked for Ampex Corporation at the company's large Colorado Springs manufacturing facility.

Ampex was a well-known producer of professional studio audio and video recording equipment used worldwide by television studios and production companies.

In 1983, Ampex marketed a device called ADO (Ampex Digital Optics).  Essentially it was a computer-driven unit that allowed studio operators to produce astounding video special effects in real time.

The company won an Emmy Award that year for the product.

Shortly after the Emmy Awards ceremony, the company brought the statue to the Colorado Springs plant.

I happened to be a member of the technician team that built and performed final systems testing and alignment on all of the ADO machines that went out the factory door.

Everyone on the team got to hold and heft the trophy, after which a group photo was taken, along with it and an ADO unit.

I just recently found the photo in an old box, so I scanned it for this post. I appear in the back row, far  right.

It was pretty cool for a reg'lar joe like me having the opportunity to actually heft a prestigious awards trophy that few people outside of the Hollywood scene ever even get to see!

I recall being surprised at how heavy the statue is...

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment

A Little Bit Of 'Tuesday Morning' at Home

 This past month, my wife and I learned that the Tuesday Morning company had gone into bankruptcy and was set to close all of its Colorado s...